The Northern Chief was constructed in Germany at Bremerhaven by Deutsche Schiffs und Maschinenbau AG Seebeck, Wesermünde in 1936 Ordered by Leverhulme Ltd to absorb frozen credits in Germany. She was completed on 11/1936 and went to Fleetwood as a new vessel LO 165 for her owners Iago Steam trawlers Ltd.
Operating out of Fleetwood (Edward D. W. Lawford, manager).
10/1937 she was sold to Northern Trawlers Ltd, London (H. Markham Cook, Grimsby, manager) and was transfered to Grimsby.
Being requisitioned in 08/1939 she was converted as an Armed Boarding vessel and later for anti-submarine duties. On 03/1942 she was on loan to the US Navy operating on the East Coast of the USA. She was returned to the Royal Navy and began operating in the South Atlantic based in Cape Town.
02/1946 She was returned to her former owners after a survey and restoration which was performed at Birkenhead over seen by Wiliam A. Bennet manager. On the 12/1946 the London Registry Closed and she was registered at Grimsby as GY 455
Grimsby Registry was closed 02/1947
Sold 02/1947 to H/F Gylfi, Vatneyri, Iceland and was renamed GYLFI BA 77
Sold in 1950 to Ludwig Janssen & Co, Wesermünde Bremenhaven Germany, Renamed Island.
Her details are
- LO 165 / GY 455 / BA 77
- Official No 165352
- Built 11/1936
- Yard No 554
- GT 655 NT 251
- Length 198.5 x 28.7 x 13.9
- Pennant FY 4.34
- Engines T.3-cyl & LP turbine with DR gearing & hydraulic coupling by Deutsche Schiffs und Maschinenbau AG Seebeck, Wesermünde. Gave her a top speed of 12 knots.
1957 she was sold to W. Ritscher, Hamburg for demolition arriving 15/07/1957.