Northern Dawn built in 1936 in Germany at Wesermunde by Deutsche Schiffs und Maschinenbau AG Seebeck, for Mac Line Ltd LO 136.
She was ordered by Leverhulme Ltd to absorb frozen credits in Germany.
She was completed 07/1936 and went to her owners, Mac Line Ltd of London operating out of Fleetwood. Edward D W Lawford as Manager.
10/1937 she was sold to Northern Trawlers Ltd London (H Markham Cook , Grimsby, Manager) and was transferred to Grimsby.
08/1939 She was Sold to the Admiralty for £33,088 and was converted to an Anti submarine Trawler.
In 1941 she picked up survivors from the lifeboat of the Torpedoed ship SS URLA.
Autumn of 1941 she became the first trawler to be fitted with RADAR.
03/1942 she was on loan to the US Navy,
Returning on 10/1942 and operated in the South Atlantic based at Cape Town.
During her time in the navy she was attached to the 45th Escort Group as well as performing convoy escort duties.
02/1946 she was sold to The Ice Co Ltd Hull. She was Surveyed at Birkenhead on 06/1946 before finally being returned to owners.
She was sold to Northern Trawlers Ltd London (H Markham Cook , Grimsby, Manager) and was transferred to Grimsby.
07/1946 the London registry was closed and was registered at Grimsby as GY 289
1948 the Manager was W A Bennett same owners.
During the 1950’s her manager was John Bennett, pre 1963 her manager was John A Butt.
03/1963 She was sold to Clayton & Davie Ltd Gateshead on Tyne for Scrapping and was delivered 27/03/1963.
Her registry was closed 09/1964
Her details are
- LO 136 / GY 289
- Official No 164717
- Call Sign GYYN
- Pennant FY 146
- GT 655 NT 265
- Yard No 548
- Dimensions 188.1′ x 28.1′ x 15.5′
- Engines 1000hp T 3-cyl & LP turbine 12 knots.
- Funnel colours Grey with black top separated by white band.
Scrapped at Gateshead 1964