Northern Foam Built 09/1936 in Germany by Deutsche Schiffs und Maschinenbau AG Weser in Bremen ordered by Leverhulme Ltd to absorb frozen credits in Germany.
The first owner was Mac Line Ltd, London, Manager E D Lawford of Fleetwood.
1937 She was transferred to Grimsby to operate for Northerns, Manager was H Markham Cook.
08/1939 as an Armed Boarding Vessel as well as an Anti Submarine trawler.
1942 she was converted for Anti-submarine duties.
One incident, she had a run in with the Submarine U952, 05/1943 whilst on her first convoy duty ONS-5, She was operating as escort and had rescued more than two hundred Merchant navy during the action.
U 952 returned to France for repairs which took 3 months and then set out on the second patrol, She had worked her way into position for attacking two joined convoys ON 202 and ONS 18, a total of 27 ships, The weather was quite foggy when the Northern Foam caught sight of U 952 whilst she was on the surface.
The Northern Foam altered course and attempted to ram the sub at full speed, The sub just managed to crash dive as the Northern Foam went over the top. The trawler then dropped a series of ten depth charges, the Commander of the submarine Oscar Curio was able to identify the Northern Foam and knew he had the advantage of some 5 knots over her on the surface, With that he surfaced and after exchanging a few rounds before making off into the Fog leaving the trawler hopelessly outclassed on speed.
The following day she was back in her role as rescue ship. 3 ships from the convoy had been struck by torpedoes within a minute of each other. The Attack came from U 238 captained by Horst Hepp.The vessels hit were Fort Jemseg, Skjelbred and the Oregon Express.
1944 she took part in Operation Neptune, the Normandy Landings, 23/05/1944 worked in convoy escort duties in British waters and across the Channel in support of Landings,
03/07/1944 ended operation Neptune
1945 Began Ocean Escort Duties finishing
11/1945 Under took a survey and restoration at Birkenhead and was then laid up, returning to Grimsby 1946.
1946 She changed her registry to GY 490.
07/1947 the London registry was closed.
1948 Her manager was W A Benntt with the same owners.
27/01/1960 she broke down 60 miles from Aberdeen with engine trouble arriving at Aberdeen 29/01/1960
10/1963 Sold to Clayton & Davie Ltd, Dunston on Tyne for Scrapping 17/10/1963 Arrived being towed by ERIMUS CROSS.
Here are the Details
- Official Number 165341
- Yard Number 550
- Call Sign GYYR
- Admiralty Number FY 4.76
- 620 GT 243 NT
- Dimensions 188.1 x 28.1 x 15.5
- Engine 1000 hp T 3 cyl & LP turbine with DR gearing & hydraulic coupling, which gave her a top speed of 12 knots.
- Funnel Colour Grey with black top separated by white band
The vessel was broken up at Dunston in 1964